read my profile
sign my guestbook
Location: Texas, United States
Interests: why? you gonna cook me somethin?
Expertise: beef, pork, and chicken
Message: message me
a couple of [tiny] research studies (Floyd 07) Recently Showed that: AFFECTIONATE WRITING CAN REDUCE YOUR CHOLESTEROL!!
So! Better get Started! I'd better do some Affectionate Writings!!! so this entry is completely dedicated to reducing all the fatty-fatty accumulating in my arteries.
things i started loving so Affectionately since College
1) Insta-OATMEAL!! By far it is so great. i used to HATE this stuff! but now that I've come back to it, it's growing and growing on me. All you do is add water to the mix, then microwave for 90 seconds. But if you're like me, you WANT IT THICK. So guess what? you use milk :) Milk helps, but even then sometimes it's just not GUUUUUUD enough. so instead of water or milk. YOU USE CONDENSED MILK :O) just add it straight to the mix. Straight to the Mix and microwave. so great!! some kind of unbelievable great :D
2) SALT TOASTED ANYTHING!!!!!! that's right. Salt toasted chicken wings / tofu cubes / calamari / fish / pork spare ribs / snickers bars. i haven't tried the snickers yet. but it is SO GOOD, i can't believe i didn't know where it has been all my life! that reminds me: they caught the first colossal squid in history just this year. here it is
it was 33 feet LONG. can you imagine the CALAMARI RINGS on that thing!!? What if it was Salt Toasted!
3) (this last one is gross--don't read). okay i have to confess... i have this offensive habit of PICKING MY NOSE... HAIRS. don't know why i do it!! because it hurts very,very much and even makes my ipsilateral eye tear up and cry. But they are good tears, because i feel So, So satisfied after i get one of the HUGE HAIRS and look at it closely, the intricate follicle intact and everything. i feel like galileo. not with planets, but with nose hairs. only thing is that sometimes I RUN OUT OF HAIRS!! then i have to wait for them to grow back...
|hmm hm. i'd better write a valentine's day entry. ok ok.|
did you KNOW?!?
victoria falls in africa, affectionately called "the smoke that thunders", puts out 500 million liters of water per minute across its mile-long span.
which is equivalent to the worldwide total volume of human diarrhea (in british: DIARRHOEA) excreted per minute. yes. YES!! things like this are so cool and uplifting. THIS is why God made waterfalls!!!
|oh crumpets. why am i still UP!?|
the surgery residents all have their inservice exam tomorrow. so... my prof is filling in the gaps with-- medstudents!! that's right!! your car gets totaled, your body gets totaled, you have appendicitis, you get run over by an 18wheeler, you get shot--guess who's gonna be triaging you at ER?!? guess who's gonna be suturing you up?!?! guess who's gonna be in charge of ruling out spinal injury??! guess who's gonna pop that tube into your bleeding lung?? not an MD, that's for sure! it might even be ME! scary. but also very fun :D
so don't get shot! and drive carefully tonight and tomorrow... there were many wrecks (including a vehicle fire) coming home from sugarland--and i'm sure some of them went straight to ben taub EC as code 2/3s. be safe!! other than july (all the new interns start in july), tonight and tomorrow is the unhealthiest time to get into an MVA... ok? so from 6-2pm, i don't wanna see your face :P
need some meat!! it's about time, time for a bbq buffet. or all you can eat hot pot. something meaty! i need the blood of MAMMAL in my stomachs
so, today was hypothyroid day at the clinic. everyone i saw had low low low thyroid. you know, the ancients believed that the thyroid was the seat of the soul?? i'm beginning to think they're right! cause all my patients were so sluuuuuuggish, gaining weight, cold all the time, slow-thinking, dry-skin... basically hibernating. the most horrible symptom is everything tastes BLAAND... and that's how you know your soul is drying out!
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all
knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have
not love, I am nothing.
If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.
is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast, it is not arrogant or
rude. It does not insist on its own way;
it is not irritable or
resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the
Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
This oft-quoted, always-spoken-at-weddings passage COMPLETELY changed my life. and you know what??? i didn't even know what it meant!! it just sounded so cool and beautiful--probably cause i was so young, i was just so enamored of the rhetoric. i'd look at this passage in the biblical book and say "ohh, sigh. it's so pretty when i say it out loud." BUT! only last year (it took me 12 YEARS to figure it out) did i do some reading into the context.
it means you can be a great teacher/bible study leader, and be absolutely nothing. you can lead worship like david crowder, and be zero. and not only gifts!! you can be completely ETHICAL and moral and virtuous (humility, compassion, courage, etc) and STILL count worthless. in other words, it's so easy to mistake spiritual gifts, abilities, and virtues for character.
1) it's possible to be the most compassionate person on earth and the most passionate martyr who ever lived, and still have a flatlined, necrotic, and selfish soul.
2) it's possible to be the best prophet or preacher or teacher in church, but have a frozen heart that has never known God's grace.
after all, on the last day, many will say: "but we prophesied/gave money/preached/led worship/etc in Your Name!" but Jesus will say "I never knew you". because it's possible to do so many 'good' things selfishly, and delude yourself and call it altruism.
take the always-sacrificing/'christian' spouse of a chronic alcoholic who finally gets over his addiction. an astonishing # of times, the marriage just falls apart. why? or consider the happily married couple in love--then 10 years pass, one of em loses LOOKS. the marriage falls apart. why?
i know it's so cliche, but--someone can become really christianish without being really christian. in truth, there are three types of people:
1) the irreligious person
2) the religious/christiany person
3) the christian
type 1 is the guy who doesn't know love and knows it. type 2 is the guy who has heard of love and tries to copy it. the christian is the guy who didn't know love until he realized it was an Uncreated Power, a Force, which took hold of him, wooed him, until he surrendered to It.
Love is what we've ALWAYS been looking for. whether we've gone searching for it in a diploma, a bottle, or a marriage. but Love was there since the beginning of the worlds! It is a Person-- the True Rich Young Ruler, who gave everything He had to obtain us, His treasure. He is the True David, who faced our Goliath to save us, His people. He's the True Aragorn, at whose coronation will make everything sad come untrue. and He's the True Lily Potter, Who died so that the evil one could never, ever touch us without searing agony.
we don't want to serve God to get the things we desire. We want God to be the one treasure we long for.
Lord, we don't want to pray to you just to get food or riches. We want You, to be our food. We want you to be our riches.
We don't want to use you to get the man or woman we love. No, we want YOU to be the one we love.
Francis Crick writes in The astonishing hypothesis:
You, your joys and your sorrows, your memories and your ambitions, your
sense of personal identity and free will, are in fact no more than the
behavior of a vast assembly of nerve cells and their associated
molecules. As Lewis Carroll's Alice might have phrased it, "You're
nothing but a pack of neurons."
another professor said:
Most of my students are very troubled when i tell them that love "is on one level an evolutionary mechanism that ensures an inclination to invest in an individual to help maximize one's fitness and on another level--love is nothing but a consequence of appropriate amounts of oxytocin in women and vasopressin in men released in conjunction with sexual satisfaction."
"That's just not acceptable, one young woman in one of my classes said. "I want my boyfriend to love me, on his own, and not just because his genes and chemicals are telling him to do so, but because of him and me!"